Dinner & a Movie

Dinner & A Movie


 Barbie & The 12 Dancing Princesses

Artist's Statement:
I wanted this piece to depict the nostalgic memories of this Iconic film while also displaying the film's main theme of immaturity vs maturity. In the film, Barbie and her 12 sisters fight to get control of their lives and kingdom back from their evil cousin. The overall colour scheme and mood are childlike, with sprinklings of adult items such as the candlestick and the wine glass. The plate in the center is shattered in pieces to depict the turmoil happening within the family. As the sisters fight to break their harsh cousin's rules they are represented by flowers poking through the pieces of broken plate. Flowers are also a commonly used motif throughout the film to represent the sisters so I made sure to include them. The inclusion of CDs and a CD case was to tie together the nostalgia of it all. The child-sized fork next to the pink stake knife was to represent how outnumbered the sisters were in age to their cousin. I wanted the piece to look thrown together by a child, I wanted it to look like everyday things you'd find in their room, and I think I captured that perfectly.

Comments